Use natural kitchen ingredients and simple tips for the best haircare at home. You really don’t need to go to a salon to have good-looking hair. Nourishing ingredients like vegetable oils and a home routine to avoid hair issues are enough for most people to have a healthy, shiny hair.
Want to find out the best hair treatment regime for your hair and scalp? What are the best products for oily scalp and dry hair? Or oily hair and dry scalp? How to treat dandruff? Hair loss? This post covers all possible haircare at home for all hair types.
Table of Contents
- Haircare In Salons…
- … Or Haircare at Home?
- How Can I Grow My Hair Faster Naturally?
- How To Stop Hair Getting Greasy?
- What Is The Best Treatment For Dry Frizzy Hair?
- How To Remove Dandruff Naturally?
- How To Embrace My Natural Hair?
- Natural Shampoos Without Bad Ingredients You Will Love
- Choosing The Right Shampoo
- Shampoos Without Bad Ingredients
- Shampoos For Thin Hair And Hair Growth
- Shampoos For Oily Hair
- Shampoos For Dry Hair
- Shampoos For Dandruff
- Shampoos For Natural Curly Hair
Haircare In Salons…
We all have the idea that the salon is the best place to treat your hair. I have to admit that it is better to cut my hair at a salon. But I don’t really believe that they treat hair in the sense of giving it shine and nourishment. Or protecting our hair and scalp from environmental conditions. At least they don’t encourage that.
They are more focused in styling and coloring. And the more effective, strong and long-lasting, the better. But we all know that comes at a cost of a lot of chemical substances. Doesn’t matter if you are using in your hair – and scalp – chemicals like hydrogen peroxide or ammonium hydroxide (best known as ammonia), that would make you cringe in other situations.
I wash my hair at home at it lasts up to two days without looking oily. But when I go to the salon, after a few hours, my hair looks like it was licked by a cow… They also keep poking me to dye my hair, while I was never offered to make a deep conditioning treatment instead, something I would probably like and accept.
… Or Haircare at Home?
But enough of bashing on salons.
What I really mean to say is that a good hair treatment doesn’t need to be made at the salon. You can make it in the confort of your home. And it doesn’t need to be expensive. It’s true that good and effective natural hair products tend to be expensive due to the ingredients they have. But you can use the natural ingredients stand-alone, for example.
I have been reviewing, for each hair type or condition, several hair care routines and home remedies you can apply regularly. Even simple things like stopping to use your blow dryer, or relax more often, may help you treat your hair condition. The result is presented next.
How Can I Grow My Hair Faster Naturally?
Grow your hair faster naturally, without artifical chemicals, by using the right natural ingredients such as rosemary essential oil or peppermint essential oil, coconut oil, aloe vera, ginseng, viviscal or saw palmetto. Apply them as part of a hair mask, a shampoo, or a conditioner. You can even apply coconut oil and aloe vera in pure form. Excepting the essential oils, you can also add these ingredients to your diet as food supplements for greater effect.
Please, read How Can I Grow My Hair Faster Naturally? for a complete article about the most common causes for hair loss, natural ingredients and food supplements for hair growth. Find recipes you can make at home, or off-the-shelf haircare kit products:
So, you’re looking for ways to grow your hair. Maybe you’ve noticed increasing hair strands in your brush. Or your hair is beginning to look less voluminous than you remember. It might not appear overnight, but one day you may realize your hair is thinning… You can make your hair grow with natural products. Especially if … Read more
How To Stop Hair Getting Greasy?
You can stop your hair from getting greasy with a change in haircare routine habits. Shampoo properly and condition sparingly, avoid excess of washing or let your hair to dry naturally, are some examples. A mild shampoo and some natural products such as aloe vera, coconut oil, tea tree essential oil, witch hazel or green tea can also help control excess of oil in your hair.
Greasy hair is probably the most common hair “issue”. Many times, it’s simply due to using drying shampoos that activate sebum production more often than it was supposed to. Then you start a never-ending cycle or washing and getting your hair greasy. Changing into a milder shampoo might reduce or even eliminate a greasy hair problem.
Please, read How To Stop Hair Getting Greasy for a complete article about simple tips to avoid a greasy scalp, and natural ingredients to help controlling oily hair. Find recipes you can make at home, or off-the-shelf haircare kit products:
So, you’re looking for ways on how to stop your hair getting greasy. Find out what causes greasy hair and how to avoid it.
What Is The Best Treatment For Dry Frizzy Hair?
Best treatment for dry frizzy hair is to use very conditioning and nourishing ingredients such as vegetable oils or ingredients with proteins. it is also adviseable to avoid habits that dry your hair like over-washing, blow-drying, or using styling tools like flat irons. Chemical hair treatments, filled with agressive chemicals will also make your hair dry and brittle after a while, which is why you should stay away from them.
Avoid shampooing everyday, and thouroughly condition your hair. Use moisturizing haircare produts, the shampoo, conditioner, and hair styling products all should have highly conditioning ingredients.
Please, read What Is The Best Treatment For Dry Frizzy Hair? for a complete article about main causes and simple tips to avoid dry frizzy hair, and natural ingredients to help condition and nourish your hair locks. Find recipes you can make at home, or off-the-shelf haircare kit products:
What to do about dry frizzy hair? Find out about tips, home remedies and natural products that can help you treat your dry hair, giving it a new health.
How To Remove Dandruff Naturally?
Dandruff is a condition without cure, but its symptoms can be controlled. Reduce the effects of dandruff with a simple change of haircare routine, like using a shampoo adequate for dandruff, moisturizing your scalp, and relaxing.
Natural ingredients, conditioning and nourishing, can help you with itching and dry scalp. Aloe vera, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar or tea tree essential oil can be used as a pure ingredient or as part of a hair maks, shampoo or conditioner. Baking soda and aspirin, that contains salicylic acid, will help to gently exfoliate your scalp and shed the flakes from dandruff.
Read How To Remove Dandruff Naturally? for a complete article about main causes and simple tips to avoid dry frizzy hair, and natural ingredients to help condition and nourish your hair locks. Find recipes you can make at home, or off-the-shelf haircare kit products:
Learn in this post how to remove dandruff naturally, with home remedies. What is dandruff, what are the causes, and how to treat it, using home ingredients.
How To Embrace My Natural Hair?
Curly hair or wavy hair have specific ways to be treated. Curls tend to tangle themselves and it’s very important to choose the right tools and product to detangle your hair without “destroying” its structure.
Also, avoid brushing all the time, heat styling and use protective hair-do’s that help you minimize hair manipulation. Trim your hair regularly and deep condition your hair weekly, with a hair mask. These are actually good habits for any hair type, to keep your hair healthy, strong and shiny.
Read How To Embrace My Natural Hair? for a complete article filled with tips about how to stop using relaxers and chemical treatments, and transition to fully assume your natural hair. Find recipes you can make at home, or off-the-shelf haircare kit products:
Many of us are “slaves” to hair chemical treatments, or a look we are just too frightened to change from. Learn how to embrace your natural hair with this post!
Natural Shampoos Without Bad Ingredients You Will Love
As one of the most important hair products, the rest of this article is dedicated to choosing the right shampoo for your hair type and needs. To know the best shampoo for you, there is no magical recipe. There are guidelines and shampoos for many types and conditions.
But we all are different persons, with different needs, tastes and issues. I have been struggling for years to find the best shampoo to wash my hair every day. I found the best product so far in the shape of a homemade shampoo bar.
In the end, only you can find what is best for you. Be persistent and keep searching until you are satisfied. Shampoos and hair products take a one to two months to give noticeable results, so have that in mind.
Choosing The Right Shampoo
First let’s take a look at some expert websites explaning how to choose the best shampoo for your hair:
- Choosing the Right Shampoo – www.byrdie.com
- How to Choose the Right Shampoo Quiz – www.gr8ness.com
- Choose the Right Shampoo – www.webmd.com
- How to Choose the Right Shampoo – skinkraft.com
If you read them, the main message is that you need to know your scalp very well, and then find a shampoo adequate for it. The shampoo should be mostly aimed to meet the needs of your scalp.
Shampoos Without Bad Ingredients
We all worry a bit when checking the ingredients list in haircare and skincare products. The names are scary, we don’t know what they mean. Fact is most of them are synthetic and too over processed to be related with the original natural ingredients. If you wish to learn more about “good” and “bad” ingredients check out Commercial Soap Ingredients – What Are They? Many of them are used in hair care as well.
On the other hand, it makes total sense that natural ingredients like vegetable oils, plant extracts and other plant-based ingredients are milder and more nourishing to your hair than artificially changed ingredients. Many of these ingredients are edible, or used in food. If they can give essential nutrients within our body, they can also deliver them topically.
All shampoos presented in this blog, store-bought or homemade, are made with natural and low-processed ingredients, avoiding the scaringly high amount of chemical and synthetic ingredients of commercial shampoos. I only make an exception for synthetic ingredients in shampoo bars, where I use a synthetic mild surfactant, instead of high pH soap that might cause chemical hair breakage.
Shampoos For Thin Hair And Hair Growth
Hair loss is probably the most common and traumatic hair problem people have. It’s also bound to happen to any of us, at some point in our life. Of course, no one will be worried if it’s just your brush showing up with several hair strings. The problem really starts when your hair gets thin and your scalp starts showing up…
Using natural shampoos instead of store-bought – or even pharmacy and expensive ones – will show you some degree of improvement with hair loss and help you grow new, healthier hair. Especially if the causes are related to a lack of essential nutrients for your hair and scalp:
- Hair Loss Therapy Shampoo (Just Nutritive): Once you stop using shampoos with harsh chemicals, your scalp and follicles have a chance to improve for thicker, healthier looking hair.
- Grow New Hair Shampoo (Just Nutritive): This Grow New Hair Shampoo for men and women is made with a nutritive based cleanser that gently cleanses your hair and scalp helping to remove excess buildup and other chemical residue without clogging hair follicles.
- Grow More Shampoo (100% Pure): Formulated to minimize shedding and to stimulate new hair growth. Deep cleans and clarifies scalp without stripping or dehydrating hair. Nourishing formula makes hair stronger, healthier and revitalized. This sulfate-free shampoo is safe and gentle enough for color treated hair.
Shampoos For Oily Hair
Healthy hair produces a certain amount of sebum, or oil, as a way to hydrate your scalp and protect your hair. The amount of sebum you produce varies depending on your hair type, hygiene habits, and other lifestyle factors.
Sometimes this natural oil can collect on your hair, especially at the root. This gives your hair a slick appearance that some people feel looks dirty or greasy.
If you feel your hair may be oilier than it should be, you will want to try these natural shampoos. I find that changing regularly your shampoo (every 6 months or every year) helps a lot:
- Oily Hair Shampoo (Just Nutritive): Lemongrass, Tea Tree, and Basil have antibacterial properties that purify oily roots for beautifully fresh, flowing hair from root to tip. Botanical extracts Nettle and Licorice work to soothe your scalp and remove excess oils and buildup leaving hair feeling fresh and pure.
- Yuzu & Pomelo Glossing Shampoo (100% Pure): Hydrating, revitalizing shampoo washes away excess oil and hair-dulling buildup to restore brilliant shine, bounce, and vibrancy. Made with degreasing yuzu and pomelo citrus and gently cleansing coconut foam. Aloe and rose hydrosol deliver a hydration infusion to thirsty strands, while provitamin B5 and sea kelp enhance volume and promote stronger, healthier growth.
Shampoos For Dry Hair
When your hair looks and feels dry to the touch, it may also be brittle and hard to style. However, having dry hair doesn’t mean that you have a larger health problem, or that there’s anything wrong with the hair that you have.
Sun exposure, chlorinated water, heat styling, chemical hair treatments, harsh sulfate shampoos, humidity, smoking, and more can all contribute to hair that’s damaged and dry.
In here, you will find the best natural shampoos to wash your dry hair with. Choose the one that best fits your hair type – dry hair or very dry hair:
- Dry Hair Shampoo (Just Nutritive): Argan and Pomegranate Oils are amongst the best at restoring vibrancy and making dry, damaged hair soft while replenishing lost moisture.
- Extreme Dry Hair Shampoo (Just Nutritive): Rice and Jojoba Protein add twice the strengthening power to help prevent breakage while Daikon Radish and Camellia Seed oils promote manageability and help banish frizz, nourishing dry, damaged hair.
- Honey and Coconut Restorative Shampoo (100% Pure): Deeply moisturizing natural shampoo made with hydrating, gently cleansing coconut foam. Restorative formula intensely nourishes for stronger, glossier hair while promoting scalp health and hydration. This sulfate-free shampoo is safe and gentle enough for color treated hair.
- Repair Shampoo (100% Pure): Natural shampoo for restoring health and vitality to dry, damaged locks. Concentrated with super fruit antioxidants and nourishing honey to replenish hydration and vibrant shine and softness. This sulfate-free shampoo is safe and gentle enough for color treated hair.
Shampoos For Dandruff
Itchy, scaly scalp, white, oily flakes accumulating in your hair. Is this something familiar to you? Then you suffer from dandruff. It is caused by genetic and environmental factors acting together, and it involves an excessive growth of skin cells in your scalp. Those skin cells die and shed easily, causing the flakes.
While there is no known cure for dandruff, it’s also not something dangerous to your health. It has nothing to do with poor hygiene. Still, dandruff is embarrasing and can result in social or self-esteem problems. Finding ways to control, reduce and even eliminate its symptoms can really improve the lifestyle of someone suffering from dandruff.
Find here natural shampoos to help you fight and control dandruff:
- Dandruff Clear Scalp Shampoo (Just Nutritive): Try something new that might save your scalp. This Clear Scalp Shampoo is not a cure for dandruff. Instead, it focuses on the overall environment of your scalp and hair. This nutritious formula gently and safely cleanses your hair all the way down to your follicles, leaving hair healthy, revitalized and flake-free.
- Burdock & Neem Healthy Scalp Shampoo (100% Pure): Purifying formula unclogs pores, stimulates circulation, and alleviates dryness, itching, and flaking with burdock, neem, and nettle while deeply moisturizing to soothe dry skin and dandruff. Made with hydrating rose hydrosol and aloe to replenish thirsty hair and scalp, with vitamin E and provitamin B5 to enhance hair softness and strength.
Shampoos For Natural Curly Hair
Natural hair, which means to simply use the hair you were born with, is a right we all have. While we may change its color and texture to improve our looks, fact is if we use it natural, we are able to better preserve its health.
And why not? Many of us are “slaves” to trendy hairstyles, chemical treatments, hair dyeing or a look we are just to frightened to change from. Challenge yourself, protect your hair from nasty chemical treatments and just use the look you were born with.
These shampoos will help you recover or maintain your nautral curly hair.
- African American Hair Shampoo (Just Nutritive): Specially formulated for the needs of African Americans with nutritive hair, this ultra-rich, creamy and moisture replenishing shampoo restores vitality to your nutritive hair. Immediately feel the difference as a luxurious lather delivers botanical nutrients that are easily absorbed, adding shine, strength, and softness to your locks.
- Glossing Shampoo (100% Pure): Hydrating shampoo quenches hair while restoring bounce, shine, and luster. Shine boosting shampoo drenches hair with deep hydration and nourishment from seaweed collagen and other essential nutrients. Gently washes away dulling residues while boosting shine and vibrancy. Infused with green apple, sake, and apple cider vinegar to restore hair’s natural vibrancy and luster.
I hope you enjoyed this post. If you have any question or wish to give your opinion, feel free to leave a comment below.