This page contains affiliate links or advertisements. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. See affiliates disclosure.
Basic recipe of handmade natural olive oil soap with french green clay and essential oil of lemongrass. This essential oil, used to cleanse oily skin, combined with green clay and the softness of olive oil, will create a natural handmade soap ideal for purifying and cleaning any type of skin, especially oily skin. With delicious citrusy scent!
French Green Clay: Cleansing and Purifying
The green clay comes from the degradation and decomposition of magmatic rocks of volcanic origin. Among all types, it has the greatest diversity of elements, such as magnesium, calcium, potassium, manganese, phosphorus, zinc, among others. Its coloring is greenish thanks to iron oxide, another substance in which green clay is enriched.
Green clay is naturally rich in minerals and trace elements. It is absorbent, regenerating, soothing and purifying. This universal clay is used in inflammations and for oily and combination skincare. It is ideal as a base for masks, poultices, or body wraps.
It is perfect for all skin types. With the regular use of this green clay an excellent balancing effect is obtained: it stimulates the natural defenses, purifies and cleans the pores and brings back the natural shine of your skin. In addition to being, in itself, a wonderful clay treatment, when mixed with plants and / or essential oils, its benefits are increased on a large scale!
Another star of this soap is the lemongrass essential oil: lemongrass has a sweet lemon scent. It has immense medicinal properties: it is analgesic, anti-depressant, anti-microbial. antipyretic, antiseptic, astringent, bactericidal, deodorant, diuretic, febrifuge, fungicide, insecticide, soothing, sedative and tonic.
Citrusy and Refreshing Lemongrass Essential Oil
Lemongrass essential oil revitalizes the body and relieves jetlag symptoms, eliminates headaches and helps fight nervous breakdown and stress-related conditions. It is a great general tonic for the body and stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, which is an asset when recovering from an illness. It also stimulates glandular secretions. Helps tone muscles and tissues, relieves muscle pain, making muscles more flexible. It is also used to clean oily and acne-prone skin, as well as athlete’s foot and relieves excessive sweating.
Combined with green clay and the softness of olive oil, this natural handmade soap is ideal for purifying and cleaning any type of skin, especially oily skin. Try this basic recipe at home and enjoy!
More Castile (100% Olive Oil) Recipes
More Single-Oil Recipes
Watch this video for Soap Making Safety instruction
Watch this video for the Cold Process Soap Making tutorial
Homemade Green Clay Soap Recipe
- Immersion blender
- Pyrex or stainless steel bowl
- Heat-resistant jug or pitcher for lye solution
- Digital scale
- Digital thermometer
- Measuring spoons
- Rubber spatula(s)
- Small strainer
- Cup / bottle for after trace ingredients
- Soap mold
- Safety goggles, gloves and mask
- 103 g distilled water (3,63 oz)
- 58 g lye (100% sodium hydroxide) (2,04 oz)
- 1 tsp fine salt / sodium lactate
- 2 tsp (8ml) french green clay (optional)
- 450 g extra virgin olive oil (15,84 oz)
Add After Trace
- 8 drops grapefruit seed extract (GSE) or rosemary extract (RSO) (anti-oxidant)
- 14 ml essential oils blend (optional)
Essential Oils Blend
- 4 ml essential oil litsea cubeba/may chang (1 tsp)
- 7.5 ml essential oil lemongrass (1 + 1/2 tsp)
- 1.2 ml essential oil sweet orange (1/4 tsp)
- 1.2 ml essential oil ylang-ylang (1/4 tsp)
|Organic EV olive oil||Lye||Illite Green Clay|
|Grapefruit seed extract||Rosemary oleoresin extract||Sodium lactate|
|Essential oil sweet orange||Essential oil litsea cubeba||Essential oil lemongrass|
|Essential oil ylang ylang|
|Rectangular soap molds||“100% handmade” molds||Assorted shapes molds|
|Immersion Blender Set||Pyrex bowl (64 oz – 2lt)||3 funnel pitchers|
|Digital scale||Digital thermometer||Measuring spoons|
|Safety gloves||Safety goggles||Safety mask|
- Wear goggles and gloves! Look at “Safety Recommendations” in the video above or in How to Make Soap From Scratch
- Watch the video above about "Cold Process Soap Making tutorial" or read the post How To Make Soap by Cold Process Step-by-Step for instructions on cold process soap making before starting. These are generic but important steps for all recipes.
- Assemble everything: ingredients, equipment, safety equipment. Prepare your workstations. Measure all the ingredients. Don’t start the recipe without having everything ready!
Heat the Oils
- Heat the olive oil to approx. 45ºC
Prepare the Lye Water
- Make the lye solution according to How To Make Soap by Cold Process Step-by-Step. Mix it until the vapors start to dissipate.
- Mix the green clay into the solution and stir well. The solution will take a dark green color.
Make the Soap Batter
- Use as a target temperature 38ºC for the oil-solution mixture. If necessary, you can reheat the oils, but not the lye solution.
- Strain the lye water into the oils to catch the clay and any undissolved lye crystals.
- Reach trace with the immersion blender.
- Add after trace ingredients: the extract and essential oil (s). Stir with just a spoon.
Molding and Curing
- Pour the dough into the rectangular molds with a pitcher and sprinkle with alcohol or witch hazel.
- Let it set for 2 to 7 days, keeping an eye on the hardness of the soap.
- Unmold and let the bars cure for 6 to 8 weeks. See How To Cure and Store Handmade Soap.